It is currently 27 Apr 2024 06:50

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: ABSOLUTE GOD DAMNED SCUM
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2009 23:33 

{l Quote}:
i dont deny that morphine is a vital medicine, however it can be produced without the poppys of afghan.
additionally the taliban have no set nationality, powered by alqeada a saudi organisation, and built up of mostly pakistani soldiers. regardless of who they are, they need removing.

Yeah but given that the Afghani economy is nearly completely dependant on poppys, what would they do without it?

Agreed about Al Queida but they can't be beaten through a conventional occupation.

{l Quote}:
who is your source?

mine is my brother who is currently on the frontine in musa qala. he is out on patrol daily. he dont deny he is scared (he aint some freak :P) but he and everyone out their conduct themselves very well showing a grit and detirmination we could only imagine of emulating daily under enemy fire.

Various in depth interviews and dispatches to the country, not to mention my uncle who was a major (retired now).
The U.S Vice President talked a few days ago about the " deteriorating situation" in Afghanistan.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies wrote a report last year which said
{l Quote}:
The situation in Afghanistan, Cordesman writes, has been deteriorating for the past five years "and is now reaching a crisis level." Both Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Adm. Mike Mullen have acknowledged that it is now an Afghan-Pakistani conflict "and one lacking in both military and civilian resources. It is also becoming increasingly more deadly for civilians, aid workers, and U.S. and NATO forces."

Resurgent Taliban, the report says, "have turned much of Afghanistan into 'no-go' zones for aid workers and civilians
."

I'm sure you've heard this before but the UK can't really afford another 11 years at least in Afghanistan. We're skint!

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2009 23:46 

{l Quote}:
I'm sure you've heard this before but the UK can't really afford another 11 years at least in Afghanistan. We're skint!

that we are, but that is purely down to our governments mismanagement of our economy.

{l Quote}:
Yeah but given that the Afghani economy is nearly completely dependant on poppys, what would they do without it?

Agreed about Al Queida but they can't be beaten through a conventional occupation.

the economy can surfive after the exile of the taliban, but if they expect to rely on the production of heroine to survive then unlucky.

and some good sources there dude, we both got good links. but also the positions we hold now we hold firmly. granted, atm there is noway in hell we can win this war without pushing forward, and there is no way in hell we can push forward with the limited number of troops out there. which is why the U.S is deplying 17,000 more troops, and why they are imploring that the rest of the world stand up and fight to rid the world of these people. additionally i dont think that an occupation of afghan will be enough, eventually the whole region will need dealing with, iran and pakistan being the most urgent, and both nuclear capable, i think we are entering a dark age in the history of humanity, but i have been wrong before.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009 02:38 

mightyred {l Wrote}:
{l Quote}:

that we are, but that is purely down to our governments mismanagement of our economy.

{l Quote}:

the economy can surfive after the exile of the taliban, but if they expect to rely on the production of heroine to survive then unlucky.

and some good sources there dude, we both got good links. but also the positions we hold now we hold firmly. granted, atm there is noway in hell we can win this war without pushing forward, and there is no way in hell we can push forward with the limited number of troops out there. which is why the U.S is deplying 17,000 more troops, and why they are imploring that the rest of the world stand up and fight to rid the world of these people. additionally i dont think that an occupation of afghan will be enough, eventually the whole region will need dealing with, iran and pakistan being the most urgent, and both nuclear capable, i think we are entering a dark age in the history of humanity, but i have been wrong before.

It would be a huge huge mistake to try and fight Iran or Pakistan.
Both well armed and very dedicated countries that would fight to the death. Both like you say nuclear capable. Their population would arm and would be very capable to defending themselves against us. We'd be bogged down for 50 years there unless we took extreme examples like WMDs.

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2