It is currently 27 Apr 2024 13:06

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Re: Manchester to get ID Cards first!
PostPosted: 07 May 2009 00:05 
SSDi Scouser

Is it really such a problem? Passports aren't very conventional to carry around, and far from everyone has a drivers license.

Will it be mandatory to have an ID card?

I have one, but it isn't mandatory here, and I find it quite convenient. But nothing with any tracking stuff or whatever you were on about :P

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 01:15 

Neotax {l Wrote}:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8035002.stm

It appears Manchester is going to be the first place that the ID cards are going to launched.

Is this just another stealth tax on us? Is it a good idea? Is it the government getting their own back after the controversial congestion charge plan from last year?

I personally don't see the point. I've got a driving license, I've got a passport, what more official ID do I need?

Not only will police be able to read the RFID from the ID card, but immigration officers, job centre and other public service staff will all eventually be issued with scanners enabling them to check a person's identity. You will also be able to use ID cards in shops, banks, pubs and other businesses.

Hmmm....Tracking our each and every movement around now are we Mr Brown?

I say stick your ID card where the sun doesn't shine and bugger off back to Scotland ol' one eye.

Neo, may I ask where you got your post from?

I saw the exact same post on another forum, every single word the exact same :s :s :s

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 09:45 

{l Quote}:
I say stick your ID card where the sun doesn't shine and bugger off back to Scotland ol' one eye.

your lucky, even if he resigns as prime minister, i get to keep him as my local mp.
as for ID cards, i on the fence.
my passport expired and never renewed it. its too expensive to do just now and i dont plan on leaving the country anytime soon.
my driving licence has been surrendered due to being almost blind.
that leaves me with bank and credit cards for id, which are not accepted as formal id.
i cant even use them to open another bank account.
as for the government wanting to know what im up to and where i go. im in my house and only get out when ive got someone with me too make sure i dont get run over :P
my father was a soldier so i lived abroad nearly all of my youth and always had to carry my ID card with me. it didnt bother me then and probably wouldnt now if i had to carry one. it's just another of our rights to anonimity gone :(

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 11:05 

FYI even expired passports still count as valid ID :)

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 11:49 
SSDi Scouser

eachann {l Wrote}:

?

Not here they don't

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 11:56 

hmm you guys dont have ID Cards?

Sweden has had it for ages.

I only got mine when I turned 15 up until when I got my Driver license when I was 18.

Like stated above not everyone has a driver license and not everyone travels and need a passport either.

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 13:04 

Baykal {l Wrote}:
eachann {l Wrote}:

?

Not here they don't

Obv you can't use them for flights and travel but for buying alcohol etc they are fine.

I.D cards won't do shit for fighting terrorism, and I can think of 101 things that £5 billion can be spent on first.

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 13:18 
SSDi Scouser

eachann {l Wrote}:
Obv you can't use them for flights and travel but for buying alcohol etc they are fine.

I.D cards won't do shit for fighting terrorism, and I can think of 101 things that £5 billion can be spent on first.

Well I think that's mostly to do with people not checking when it expired :P Done that a few times, but it shouldn't work

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 14:45 
SSDi Sheep Worrier

they'll be doing anus swabs next to find compatible donors for when the dickheads in parliment need thier gobs restocked with shite

PostPosted: 08 May 2009 10:19 

roydrip {l Wrote}:
they'll be doing anus swabs next to find compatible donors for when the dickheads in parliment need thier gobs restocked with shite

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the fence with the whole ID cards thing - can see pro's and con's. Where I work we have to do anti-money laundering checks and require proof of identity from all of our clients, which then has to be verified against various databases before we can accept their business. With ID cards and a scanner, we could instantly check their ID, confirm their status re money laundering and start working for them immediately. Reduces time and cost - better for us, better for the client.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next